Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Recipe #18: Vegetarian Greenhouse Grinder

The cookbook "A Man, A Can, A Grill" says that you can buy caponata in any supermarket.  Well, I looked in supermarkets from Mankato, MN to Duluth, MN and I didn't see it ANYWHERE.  So I got a recipe off the internet and made it.  It's basically an antipasto made from eggplant, onion, garlic, celery and tomato.  You saute everything in stages and it is supposed to last in the fridge for quite a long time.  Good thing.  I need it for three of the recipes beginning with this one. (Funny thing, it gets its name from capers in it, but my recipe did not call for capers -- ?!?!?!?)

Okay, as for the "samwitch" -- Two slices of sourdough bread, spread with pesto, then caponata, then (optional) shredded italian cheese, and a layer of mushrooms.  Then spray the bread with PAM and grill to golden goodness.  Actually it was pretty good, but being an omnivore, I have to say a slice of ham wouldn't have hurt it a bit!

I will also be using the caponata for a veggie pizza and a tuna-pizza called "Luca Brasi's Pizza".  Anyone want to guess at that cinematic subreference?

1 comment:

  1. Does it have anything to do with 'sleeping with the fishes'?

    ReplyDelete